Monday, November 16, 2015

Reflection: Luke 18:35-43



Monday of the 33rd Week of Ordinary Time – Luke 18:35-43

In this Gospel reading, we hear the familiar story of the blind man sitting by the road.  Jesus was on his way to Jericho and as he was traveling, he walked by a blind man who was begging on the roadside.  The blind man heard a crowd approaching and asked some of the passersby: “What is happening?  What is the excitement about?”  They told him that Jesus of Nazareth was coming down the road. Apparently, the blind man had heard about Jesus.  Immediately, he began shouting out in an extremely loud voice: “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!

The people around the blind man tried to silence him.  However, he again shouted out in a louder  voice: “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!”  Jesus heard the man’s cry.  He stopped and had the man brought to him.  Jesus asked the man: “What do you want me to do for you?”  The man simply replied: “I want to see.  Please let me see!”  And as we know, Jesus quietly said to the blind man: “Have sight; your faith has saved you.”  Immediately the man’s sight was restored and he began praising and giving glory to God. 

What is the impairment you would ask Jesus to heal if he stood before you?  Take a moment and seriously ask yourself: what would I ask Jesus to do for me?   The challenge is we typically have more than one impairment that we would like Jesus to heal.  What is the “blindness” in your life that affects you and your loved ones the most?  Do you truly wish to be healed of this “blindness?”  Or have you become comfortable with this “blindness?”  Or does this “blindness” keep you from noticing aspects of your life that might disturb your sense of peace or equilibrium? 

Today is a good opportunity for us to ask ourselves: what is my blindness?  Am I ready to ask to be healed of my blindness?  Or does my blindness protect me in some ways?  The human reality is most of us have our sight.  However, every individual also has their “blind spots.”  It seems to be an integral part of all human beings. 

Today Jesus will ask you (and me): “What do you want me to do for you?”  What will be your response?  What will be my response?  Open your heart to Jesus!  Bring your longings to Jesus!  He will not fail you!

1 comment: