Sunday, November 22, 2015

Reflection: John 18:33b-37


Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe – John 18:33b-37

Today we begin the last week of our current liturgical year.  Next Sunday the Advent season and a new liturgical year will begin.  The Gospel chosen for this feast of Christ the King is a very solemn reading.  It is a reading from the Passion of Jesus Christ. 

Jesus had been arrested and was brought before Pilate. The first questions Pilate asked Jesus: “Are you the King of the Jews?  If so, what have you done?”  The dialogue between Pilate and Jesus continues from there.  The reality is: Jesus was a king.  However, Jesus was not a typical king.  Jesus was “a servant king.”  He came not to be served but to serve.  Jesus did not come to earth seeking power and influence.  Rather he preached God’s word, healed the sick and reached out to the poor, the lame and the outcasts of society. 

Today may be a good day to ask ourselves: How am I following in Jesus’ footsteps?  How do I reach out to the poor, the lame or the individuals who are on the margins of society?  Do I strive to be a servant to the people in my life?  Do I work to create peace and harmony? 

Perhaps the most challenging words in this Gospel are the last words of this reading: “Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” I invite you to take a few moments and ask yourself: How do I strive to listen to Jesus’ voice?  Do I allow Jesus’ voice to be drowned out by busyness, despair, worry or (you fill in the blank)?  Today make time to sit down, quiet down and listen for Jesus’ voice!  He will speak to you!  The question for us is: Will we be listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment