Sunday, October 26, 2014

Reflection: Matthew 22:34-40


30th Week in Ordinary Time –Matthew 22:34-40

The Gospel today is a familiar one. The scene opens with a scholar of the law testing Jesus by asking him: “What commandment is the greatest commandment?” Jesus replies with the “correct” answer: “You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, with all your soul and with all your mind,” and “you shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

If we were asked this question, it is likely we would give the “correct” answer. The challenge however is living out that “answer” each and every day of our lives. Yes, I have good intentions to love my neighbor, but today this neighbor (spouse, friend, child) is driving me nuts! Or I may be preoccupied with the challenges of the day---and all my good intentions are forgotten. This isn’t wrong or bad. It is natural. The reality is that we won’t always “feel” loving with our spouse, child, friend or neighbor. The challenge is to let go of our frustration or anger and renew my intention to love my neighbor with my whole being---even if my neighbor is driving me nuts!

Today may we ask God to give us the grace to truly “be loving” with each person we encounter today. God will hear our prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment