Saturday, September 13, 2014

Reflection: Luke 6:43-49


Saturday of the 23rd Week in Ordinary Time- Luke 6:43-49

Today’s Gospel begins with Jesus talking about trees and the quality of fruit they bear. Jesus clearly says that each tree is known by the fruit it produces. Jesus takes this image one step further. He says that each of us also is known by the fruit that we bear!

When I reflect on this statement, it makes me wonder what type of fruit am I bearing? Am I producing good fruit, rotten fruit or fruit that is edible but not the best? For myself, I know that every day my fruit is a bit different! Some days I am very good at producing good fruit. Other days, my fruit is bruised and it may be beginning to rot!

At the end of the day, I don’t necessarily reflect on the fruit of my day — at least in the way Jesus talks about it. However, taking a few minutes to think back over the day and to be aware of what was fruitful, and what was not fruitful, may be good food for thought!

Taking the time to reflect may also influence the choices I make the next day. I believe that we all want to bear good fruit. Let us be mindful of making good choices today. Hopefully, we will make the choice today to bear the good fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment